Monday, February 27, 2006

Thee wedding quilt progress






Well it is about time that I actually posted something in the quilting blog and what is more appropriate to start with than my eldest son's wedding quilt? He will marry a darling girl, Jen on August 18, 2006. I am tickled that this lovely couple have chosen to spend the rest of their lives together as husband and wife.

So I wanted to make the couple a quilt for the wedding gift. Gratefully, Jen informed me she had purchased a queen sized bed the year before the engagement and so the size was not a mystery. A BIG deal and those that quilt understand my relief at not having to guess.

In Jen's email to me she was so excited about getting a de-brat designs quilt that I realised that I did need to design this quilt. Also, even though I know that Jen adores pink and orange (and Derek, my son, loves anything Jen does) she wanted a neutral quilt. In white? Ouch. Finally I decided to go with my gut and made the center from my Butterflies Abound Hawaiian Applique' pattern. Cutting the butterflies from my mere 2 2/3 yards of a gorgeous batik that was..... yellow, pink and peach!!!

I have recently been blessed with a job where I can hand quilt or knit at work! Yup, you read that correctly, I can knit; I can hand piece or applique: watch movies or QNN at work! And so I do. Today I spent 6 hours working on the first triangle to be added to make the butterflies go on point. Here is a picture of the triangle portion, followed by a picture of the "mockup" of the center with the triangle on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment